SM Link

State Park Entrance Permits

Enjoy South Dakota's great outdoors!

The annual park entrance license allows you to use the facilities at nearly 60 state park and recreation areas throughout South Dakota. The license is required for entrance into designated state parks, recreation areas and lakeside use areas. It does not cover camping costs or additional fees.

A park entrance license also makes a perfect Christmas, birthday, or other special occasion gift.

2018 Permit Details

Available: October 1, 2017
(annual licenses are available each year in October)
Expiration: May 19, 2019

  • First License: $30
  • Second License: $15*
  • Transferable (valid for only one vehicle at a time): $65

*Purchasers of one license can also buy a second at half price.

*Permits are not valid unless affixed by license adhesive in passenger-side corner of windshield, within 3 inches of the bottom.

Daily Park License

Fee: $4 per person | $6 per vehicle*

(age 11 and under free)

* This option is not available at Custer State Park

Temporary Custer State Park Permit

Fee: $20 per vehicle | $10 per motorcycle

Expiration: valid up to 7 days

George S. Mickelson Trail Pass

Fee: $4 per day | $15 per year

Motorcoach License

Fee: $3 per person per continuous visit

How to Purchase

Credit Card

Purchase online

Check or Money Order

Mail your application, along with your check/money order to:

South Dakota Game, Fish & Parks
Parks & Recreation
523 E. Capitol Ave.
Pierre, SD 57501

Entrance licenses can also be purchased at local state park offices or by calling the South Dakota Division of Parks & Recreation at 605.773.3391.

Additional Annual Licenses
Multiple Vehicles

If you have more than two vehicles (registered in your name) that you need annual park licenses for, you may purchase additional licenses at half price.

To obtain additional licenses, you are required to purchase the initial two. Properly complete the application for multiple Park Entrance Licenses or download application. The serial numbers of the two park licenses as well as registrations for all vehicles are required. Send the completed application to the Licensing Office with proper payment (check or money order) to receive additional half-price licenses.

Unlicensed Scooters/Golf Carts

When applying for a half-price park entrance license for a vehicle that does not require licensing (scooters/golf carts), please provide one of the following:

  • Copy of a proof of insurance
  • Copy of vehicle title
  • Copy of bill of sale


A friendly face is generally waiting for you at South Dakota state parks. But if we're not at home, a self-registration booth will allow you to pay all necessary fees.

Both entrance and camping fees can be paid through self-registration envelopes at these stations. Simply remove an entrance license envelope or camping permit from the dispenser, complete the information, enclose the fee and drop it into the tube. Place your temporary license in the lower passenger-side corner of your windshield. It is your responsibility to pay these fees.

Retail Stores

View list of retail stores that sell S.D. state park entrance licenses.

Fees support state parks and recreation areas

Fees collected by South Dakota's state parks play an important role in the system's daily operations. The sale of park entrance licenses and camping fees comprise nearly half the entire funding needed to operate the state parks and recreation areas and provide comfortable and enjoyable facilities and recreation opportunities.

Receipts collected from visitors also fund major expenses including fuel, utilities, vehicles and other daily necessities. All fees include applicable state sales tax.